Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Office Supply Classroom Storage and Organization {photos, tips, ideas}


 I’m pretty sure that in order to be a teacher you must be born with an abnormal love of office supplies. What is it about an unopened package of Sharpies or multi-colored Post-It Notes that makes us swoon?

In today’s blog post I am going to share with you some tips and strategies for organizing and managing all those office supply must haves that we can’t say no to.


First, determine which supplies you actually need to have at your fingertips. Those are the ones you use throughout the day...everyday. Chances are it includes the following:
  • pens
  • pencils
  • markers
  • clear tape
  • staples
  • a stapler
  • sticky notes
  • correction fluid
  • paper clips or binder clips
Did I miss anything? 


Those items need to be stored in a manner that will allow you to quickly and easily access them. Unless I am using my teacher computer, I’m typically not at my desk. Even when the kids aren’t in the classroom, I prefer to work at a table. Therefore, I found it very helpful to create a portable supply caddy that houses all of those items I use on a regular basis. I like being able to move it around the room with me or even take it up to the copy room if I’m working there.

So what to do with the rest of the stuff...including overstock of the above?


There are several options. You’ll just need to select a system that best fits your needs. Here are some ideas:

Transform plastic drawers designed for sorting small hardware into an office supply station. You can get all kinds of fancy with spray paint, Washi tape, scrapbook paper and labels or you can simply purchase a set of drawers and use them as is. They are a great way to store all of those little supplies like brads, tacks, clips, and more. 

Use small containers to house extra supplies and store them in a deeper desk drawer or a larger bin out of sight.


{photo sources: 1 / 2 / 3 / 4}

“Upcycling” containers that are the same size and shape create a much more organized appearance than storing all the supplies in their original packaging. It also allows you to merge several packages together. Some containers that work really well for this purpose are...
  • Crystal Lite
  • baby food 
  • baby wipes

Some great options to purchase include
  • small baskets
  • food storage containers
  • pencil boxes
  • photo storage boxes
  • plastic shoeboxes
 



Be sure to follow my blog and store  and Facebook Page for notification of the FreebiesClick here to access a collection of Teacher Tips or tour my Classroom Makeover here.

3 comments:

  1. I love the clear containers with the snap-on lids!!! The labeled drawers are also great! And yes, I also have a slight obsession with office supplies :)

    Bridget
    Literacy Without Worksheets

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love having my office supply organizer! I could reach over and find what I need without digging around, also I was able to get rid of the desk and have a reading table instead!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it!! I drooooool over a well organized stash of office & school supplies!

    ReplyDelete