Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Easy Valentine Math Idea {Area & Perimeter}

In my school, each classroom has a bulletin board in the hallway.

Mine is located dead center at the end of the main hallway. I had taken down our Winter Writing Projects with the super-cute, paper-pieced snowmen holding them. I had put up red butcher paper.

And that was it.

My mind was blank and the board was blank. I had no creative ideas. Pinterest even let me down.
Just when I was about to call it a wash, cover it with green paper and move on to St. Patrick's Day, an idea struck.

As I told my students while I scurried around the room grabbing for construction paper in the traditional colors of love along with scissors, glue sticks and markers from our classroom supply center, "There are many nights when I spend countless hours planning lessons and activities...and then there are times when I am walking down the hallway staring at a blank board, an idea strikes and we need to drop everything to make it happen."

I cut the paper down to various sizes and each of them made a Valentine. They then measured the length and width to calculate the area and perimeter. On the inside they wrote what they know about those concepts.

Since the enjoyed the project so much, I decided to whip together a quick math learning center for this week...


I labeled the cards A-J and they used them similar to our task cards.  They selected a card, sketched a diagram, measured the card, recorded the dimensions and solved to find the area and perimeter. It was so simple and a great way to practice measurement, area and perimeter.

You may also be interested in these products and posts:
Mystery Mail...this would be fun to do with a Valentine Theme




Follow my Teacher Store so you don't miss
Flash Freebies or Discounted Debut Items and view my easy-to-navigate online catalog.

Check out CFC's Helpful Series for Teachers: 


3 comments:

  1. Love this! Will be getting this together tomorrow... Thank you for sharing, & Happy Valentine's Day!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea! Do you have 12 kids in your class?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! I love this idea! I used it yesterday with my 5th grade. I gave you credit on my blog: check it out http://sanders6thgrade.blogspot.com/2013/02/how-big-is-your-valentine.html
    Meredith
    Ramblings of a Fifth and Sixth Grade Teacher...

    ReplyDelete

You may also enjoy...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...