Sunday, June 24, 2012

My 2012-2013 Classroom Intro {CLASSROOM 360}

Oh my!

I have never before been finished with a room so early in the summer. We are so lucky because while the cleaning crew will move everything off the floor to clean the rugs (translation: pile it in a heap), the walls are left untouched. There will be a tech team coming in to mount and install my smartboard so I didn't mess around too much with the area where it will hang, but I am otherwise good to go.

And more importantly, I am ready to share all of the nooks and crannies of my room with all of you.

I actually sat in the middle of the room on Friday with my trusty notebook in hand and jotted down each and every aspect of what was on the walls so that I could detail it all out in blog posts. Because there needs to be a rhyme and reason to it, I've decided to simply go counterclockwise from top to bottom and detail each component in words and pictures. I've snapped a bazillion pictures and filmed a ton of video.

Below is a  map of my classroom which outlines each of the things I will be blogging about as part of my classroom reveal series...I'm calling it "Classroom 360." A new component will be unveiled in a post each morning.

I'm doing it counter-clockwise so the posts will follow this map from right to left.


I'm kicking off the series today by posting about my "classroom makeover supplies."

Which I should subtitle, "Step Away from the Teacher Store!"

I did buy some black borders, a classroom calendar and a cursive and manuscript alphabet from a teacher store, but other than that I sought out items that allowed me to personalize and customize my classroom. It's really easy to create an environment that is fun and inviting without using tons of store bought posters and decor.

Here are my favorite tools and supplies that were used in the makeover:

RIBBON: The colors and patterns are endless. It can be bought super-cheap. It adds fabulousness and a finishing touch to EVERYTHING! 

SCRAPBOOK PAPER: If you are using a color scheme or classroom theme then scrapbook paper will be your BFF. I personally super heart the 12 x 12 scrap pads. This one is my favorite. You'll see traces of it everywhere in my room and it totally compliments my current most favorite products: My Blackline Designs

FABRIC...or more specifically BED SHEETS: Fabric has long since been the only thing I back my bulletin boards with. I used to buy yards and yards and yards of it.  Now, I will only buy bed sheets. Not only are they much cheaper, but they come in really fun bold colors (especially as the college kids get ready to head to the dorms) AND bonus...they often come with a pillowcase, which I use in the classroom on standard pillows. The kids love grabbing a pillow to read with on the floor. 

SPRAY PAINT: Again-cheap and easy.  The options of colors are amazing. You'll find any color you want and can quickly transform Dollar Store treasures into custom-matched pieces for your room.

STICKERS: I have and use a Cricut, but actually prefer fun, colorful stickers since they are easier to use and are already, well, sticky.

TISSUE PAPER: Again I must sing the praises of color and texture.  Target is my favorite tissue paper buying spot.

Next up: Hand Signals {tomorrow}

Followed by: My Clock Makeover {Tuesday}

{This post has been linked to: Kristen's Summer Shopping Linky Party}

Be sure to follow my blog and store  and Facebook Page for notification of the FreebiesClick here to access a collection of Teacher Tips or tour my Classroom Makeover here.

45 comments:

  1. Aaaggghhh! Still hanging in suspense to see your "after" photos! Such torture!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait until all your little nooks and crannies are revealed!

    Kylie
    Down Under Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excited to see what your room looks like! I started working on my room at the end of the year and am gradually thinking of new things to add to it as the summer continues :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I intentionally left a board and a half blank (just fabric and border) because I know a new idea or two will come along this summer and I'll wish I had space for it. :) Happy Summer! Jodi

      Delete
    2. First Year First GradeJuly 24, 2012 at 9:07 PM

      I am a first year teacher and was cruising the web to find ideas. I am so glad I found your site. I love the colors and the cool ideas. I can't wait to see more.

      Delete
  4. I like the colors so far! Can't wait to see it! I was also wondering what program you used to create your 'map' that shows what is on each wall....looks great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I use Keynote (which is essentially the same as PowerPoint). I used that to draw out the map and then saved it as a PDF which I opened in Photoshop, added a bit more text and converted to a JPEG to put on here. If it wasn't going on the web though (i.e. when I make my sub plans and create a map of the classroom) I leave it as a PDF. Both Keynote and Powerpoint are very user friendly. Happy Summer! Jodi

      Delete
  5. Can't wait to see everything. I noticed that you said you did vodeos, will you be posting the videos on youtube?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Yes, all of the videos will be housed on Youtube (and possibly Teacher Tube and Vimeo as well). Happy Summer! Jodi

      Delete
    2. I'll also be imbedding them here. I realized after I published the last comment that you may have simply meant where could you see them. LOL.

      Delete
  6. What grade level is this for?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I teach 3rd, but the blog focuses Classroom Organization and Management for grades K-5.

      Delete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  8. yayyy!! so excited to see everything!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just wanted to leave you a quick note to say I just found your blog and love all your tips and ideas! Love to Learn

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love using ribbons as borders around displays and bulletin boards, they are so cute and pretty.


    Swimming Into Learning

    ReplyDelete
  11. Bed sheets! That is a brilliant idea. You are so smart.

    Tricia

    ReplyDelete
  12. I LOVE the idea of using bed sheets instead of buying fabric!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. i have to say that i'm sincerely envious of the fact that you get to decorate and leave everything up during the summer! everything has to come off the walls and the bulletin boards and the white boards and the doors and everything else in my classroom. i can't wait to see your pictures!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Okay, I am really confused and disappointed and think many of us are as well. Your blog led me to believe the complete REVEAL of your classroom woud be on June 24th. Nothing happened on that date and then today, June 25th, we only see the hand signals, classroom map and supplies. Are you going to reveal bits and pieces each day? If so please explain this to us more clearly as your note on EACH section led us to believe the COMPLETE REVEAL would be on June 24th. Please know that I LOVE your ideas and classrooms and it was just disappointing to learn that that I have to check each day for a tiny piece of the REVEAL. So many of us would like to learn from you, get ideas, etc... and go ahead and work on our own classrooms." I am sorry if I misunderstood your intentions but I truly thought the complete reveal was to have been on June 24th.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree!Every INSPIRED post said it would be revealed on 6/24. I too am very disappointed!

      Delete
    2. I, too, am disappointed. I hate that I feel that way, because it makes me seem ungrateful, which is not true at all. I have been a subscriber for months now, and anxiously awaiting the "big reveal." What a bummer to have it pushed back, then the day arrives, and...nothing. Thank you for sharing your ideas and inspiring us to recreate our classrooms. But no thanks for the tease.

      Delete
  16. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I"m so thankful for all these tips. I've never used fabric before, so was ready to head out to get some...thank goodness I saw this & can now purchase bedsheets. Brilliant! and ribbons? can't wait to see what you do with that. I've VERY uncreative decorating wise so thanks for taking all the time to help us. hurry hurry with more! love!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love your ideas and you have made a difference in my classroom with your insights and ideas. Thank you for sharing your gifts with us. I would like to say that I personally am excited that since I signed up for your emails I will get a treat from your room each day. I would like to encourage those of you who are disappointed not to see the big reveal in one shot to sign up for the emails.. It disappointed me to read the sour attitudes about it when you allow us get so much from you for free or very cheap on tpt. It will be nice to get pieces of your room with explanation so that we can focus on each part and think how or if we could use it in our rooms. Thank you for your awesome blog which is a great inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great post! Such a neat map. I love how you are revealing a bit each day. I know how much work goes into writing each post. Your attention to detail takes awhile and I love reading about all the little details!! Can't wait to see it all.

    April
    A Modern Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great post! Very detailed. I can't wait for your "Words on Wall" post. I have just the wall in mind in my own classroom. Thanks for great inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I use fabric to cover my bulletin boards and NEVER thought to use bed sheets! Thanks for that tip! :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hello,
    Those of you using sheets for the fabric, are you using twin or a larger size. Are you buying flat only or fitted and flat?
    Thanks,
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  24. If you can't use fabric because your fire marshal won't allow it (not that I would know ANYTHING about that), paint works wonders on bulletin boards! Mine is painted black, and I love it! The teacher across the hall from me painted hers yellow, and it brightens up her whole room!

    Just an idea if you are prevented from using fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love, love, love the bed sheet idea! I wonder if Target is open right now...!!

    Rebecca

    1stgradefascination.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  26. WOW! I have always used material but never thought about sheets! Then I read about the ribbons! Love that idea! Now I can change the borders to match the holidays! Thank you - I can't wait to see what else is in store for us! I was also under the impression that you were going to reveal the room all at once. BUT, I love this way so much better. Now I can see what you are doing and it gives me time to absorb all this information and think how I can incorporate into my room! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love the idea of using bed sheets for bulletin boards! I usually buy fabric too, but last year, I actually bought table cloths from Walmart once they were on sale for the summer. They are green with white outlined flowers, which go great with my room, and were like $3 each or something crazy! I was so excited when I found them!

    ReplyDelete
  28. LOVE your teacher-store-free decorating ideas. Thanks so much for sharing!

    - Elizabeth
    http://firstyearinthe3rdgrade.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  29. The fire marshal came to my school, and so much that was colorful on the walls had to go. At least he would probably be okay with the duct tape. :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Thanks for all the free ideas!

    ReplyDelete