Wednesday, June 27, 2012

DUCK/DUCT TAPE DESK MAKEOVER {Classroom 360}

Classroom 360 is a complete tour of my classroom as designed for the 2012-2013 school year. Each post highlights an aspect of my room with photos, a detailed explanation of it's purpose, and often times videos.

This is a fantastic solution for those of you who may have ratty, beat up desks that you want to fix up. For me it was more about being matchy-matchy. I love matchy-matchy.

I’ve mentioned a time or two thousand that I don’t love on the color red. Sure it’s the color of love and yes it looks great with my dark hair and pastey Irish complexion, but it clashes with my otherwise perfectly color-coordinated classroom and therefore me no likey. 
So you can only imagine my feelings towards red desks. 
The thought of spray painting them had crossed my mind...briefly. But that would mean taping them to paint them. And it would be permanent. I quickly realized I could eliminate a step and simply tape them.
I actually only have a couple desks and decided Duck tape would be the perfect solution. I had fallen in love with a damask pattern I had seen online, but couldn’t find it in any of my local stores. 

I opted instead for a solid aqua and was very pleased with the results. It peels off easily and a little vegetable oil or vinegar will easily take care of the stick residue if I want to change it out in the future. After all was said and done I realized I could have also used colored painters tape. So if you are thinking about making over some desks, or a filing cabinet, or anything else for that matter you may want to go that route.


SIDENOTE: Duck Tape is the name brand for the fun pattern / colorful Duct Tape maker. You can do a google search for either to find lots of fun options. I went back and forth on which spelling to use for the post, but ultimately decided to go with the brand I used.

Be sure to follow my blog and store  and Facebook Page for notification of the FreebiesClick here to access a collection of Teacher Tips or tour my Classroom Makeover here.

22 comments:

  1. I love how those turned out and would give anything if I could do that but don't think they will let up:/ Kinda of a bummer because it would look oh so much cuter!!!! I did get permission to paint one ugly file cabinet. I used chalkboard paint but still need to add something...it's boring...

    4th Grade Frolics

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe just some cute labels to each cabinet that match your other classroom labels. That way you can still see the pretty chalkboard paint. OR, Mod Podge some stripes of pretty scrapbook paper.

      Mrs. Randall’s Learning Library

      Delete
  2. Duct tape is awesome! Wish I still had desks to do this on. Thanks for the sticky residue remover tip. I have read that online, just never tried it!

    EmilyK

    ReplyDelete
  3. I use the duck tape on the floor to show students where their desks belong. That way if they start scootin' around too much, I'll simply remind them to look at the tape. It really helped me keep my sanity (and actually allowed me to walk around the classroom) last year!
    For other good ideas, please come check out my blog! I'm new to the game and would love some support or feedback! Plus I've just created my very first set of centers which I'm posting for free later today :D
    Thanks so much,
    Rebecca

    1stgradefascination.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like that idea! I might have to try that this year!

      Delete
  4. What a great idea! I will be coming back to "new" (to me) desks that are similar to this. Wonder if it would drive me crazy to try and do 25 of them? How much tape did it take you to complete your desks?

    Every New Beginning

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh for goodness sakes you are a smarty pants! Love it! I can't imagine doing the whole classroom but maybe the edge of my writing table. Thanks for the ideas.

    Mrs. Randall’s Learning Library

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ok so is it just me? I have been waiting to see the classroom reveal and it is way past June 24th

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! I keep checking everyday.

      Delete
    2. Each day reveals a different area of the new classroom. This post describes that: http://clutterfreeclassroom.blogspot.com/2012/06/my-2012-2013-classroom-intro-classroom.html

      Delete
  7. I love this idea! I love that you can switch it up to make the room more colorful! Did it take a long time Duct Taping the desks?
    ~Kirsten

    Mrs. Wilson's World

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my gosh, I love it!! I have got to do this for next year. Thanks for sharing!!
    Lisa
    Learning Is Something to Treasure

    ReplyDelete
  9. Did you just do the outsides? Or did you do the inside too?

    ReplyDelete
  10. In addition to your wonderful, beautiful space, I am curious about how you keep your files clutter free. Do you still use paper files, or are you completely digital? How you keep the "kid clutter" organized? I don't have student cubbies, I just have outdoor hooks, and on rainy days it is a disaster! I have 15 indoor hooks, but it doesn't help much when I have 30 kindergarten kids trying to hang their backpacks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My kindergarteners leave their backpacks outside in tubs. I have 3 big storage containers for backpacks and another one for lunches. When they come in from outside, they lay their sweater/coat on top of the backpacks. I am in Southern California so I usually do not have to fuss with boots/umbrellas/mufflers, etc. There is a solid patio cover over this area, so I do not worry about lunches getting hot.

      Delete
    2. That us a great idea about storing the backpacks outside in tubs. I have a REALLY small Kindergarten classroom and my cubbies are super small as well. I wonder if my principal would allow me to do that. She is so OCD about stuff like that. We aren't allowed to have big rubbermaid storage containers anywhere in our classroom (like on top of our cabinets, etc...).
      One question, though, is it hard for the kids to find their backpacks if they were being checked out early? I'm just wondering how the kids would do fumbling through all the backpacks. Our school requires see through or mesh backpacks so they pretty much all look the same.

      Delete
  11. I've nominated you for the Versatile Blogger award! Stop by and grab it.

    Jessica
    My Different Worlds

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think the ideas about organizing backpacks are great, but our school nurse told us not to pile backpacks together because it makes for an easy spread of head lice

    ReplyDelete
  13. Just found your blog, been loving it. :) And just if you wanted the damask pattern for something else in your classroom, it is only available here: http://www.target.com/p/baroque-duck-tape-6-pk/-/A-13450849#?lnk=sc_qi_detaillink it was discontinued so buy it while you can :)

    ReplyDelete

You may also enjoy...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...